If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (973) 983-5657

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Let's Talk Temporary Home Heating

1/28/2021 (Permalink)

Portable Electric Heater Positioned Too Close to Flammable Materials What's wrong with this picture? There are flammable materials within the 3-foot perimeter of this electric heater!

The temperatures are below freezing and it’s downright chilly in here!  We don’t all live in super-efficient, temperature-perfect homes.  For some of the drafty rooms and spaces in our homes, we may be tempted to choose space heaters to chase the chill during these cold winter months.  If this is something you have thought about, or already have in use, a few words of caution are in order! 

According to the National Fire Prevention Association and based on 2014-2018 annual averages:

  • Most home heating fire deaths (81%) involved stationary or portable space heaters.
  • The leading factor contributing to home heating fires (25%) was failure to clean, principally from solid-fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys.
  • Half of the home heating fire deaths were caused by having heating equipment to close too things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing mattresses or bedding.
  • Nearly half (48%) of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February.

Source: NFPA Applied Research

Space heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces can, when used very prudently, be helpful in keeping our living spaces warm and toasty this winter.  Take the time to review the safety tips from the NFPA by downloading this tip sheet: 

https://www.nfpa.org//-/media/Files/Public-Education/Resources/Safety-tip-sheets/Heating_Safety.pdf

The NFPA also has a video, which although it is dated, is nonetheless informative and somewhat amusing.  Check it out here:  https://youtu.be/5BqR4WNd3lA

Above all, don’t take you and your family’s safety for granted.  Review the cautions and stay safe and warm this season. 

If you should experience a fire or smoke in your home or business, gather your family, leave the premises immediately and call 911 from outside.  Then call SERVPRO® of North Morris County to assist you in returning your premises to pre loss condition.  We are available to serve you 24/7/365 @ 973-983-5657. 

Other News

View Recent Posts